Alkaline matte etching system with extended solution life
Liquid, Used with Caustic Soda, versatile alkaline etch system for long solution life etching of aluminium and alloys. Produces a uniform and matte satin finish with a low foaming formulation even with large tank loads of parts. Has a high tolerance to dissolved aluminium, prevents alumina scale deposits on tank and associated equipment. System designed to operate at high or lower caustic soda concentration ranges.
Features & Benefits
- Contains no nitrate, nitrite, chlorate or chlorite.
- Decreases the etching rate of aluminium – lowers caustic soda consumption as well as aluminium losses.
- Versatile – can be used for low or high caustic etching systems.
- Enables working at 55-60 g/L aluminium if required for the Low caustic post-treatment after the acid etch to maximize the defect masking properties of acid etch without causing any entrapment in complex shaped profiles.
- Excellent dispersing properties and prevents formation of aluminium hydroxide deposits on tank and equipment even at high aluminium concentrations.
- Viscosity of matte etching bath is decreased and therefore drag- out losses are minimized – reducing the caustic soda losses into the waste water treatment plant.
- High tolerance to dissolved aluminium for a smooth finish in the long life caustic etching.
This process belongs toALUMAL ETCH SERIES
For certain applications and aluminium alloys, the surface etching can enhance the final finish of the part or component by providing a given aspect (matte, satin, etc.)
Etching is also important to help conceal surface defects such as die lines, scratches or in mixed alloy aluminium components, the etching process gives a uniform surface appearance.
Etching can be accomplished with both Acid or Caustic systems. Each ALUMAL type are blended with special surfactants to minimize fuming, or to provide a foam blanket, and the chemistries contain anti-scaling agents to keep the tank, heating equipment and other process equipment working at optimum for high throughput. Alkaline type etch systems will dissolve more aluminium and leave behind typically more smut. Acid etch type systems tend to smut less because they dissolve both aluminium and alloy constituents at more of an equal rate. In both cases, ALUMAL Deoxidizing / Desmutting chemistries are designed to provide the proper surface conditions for subsequent processing.
Sometimes Etch systems and Etch cleaners require some modifications to enhance their performance. The following products are available and when added to ALUMAL Cleaners, ETCH-Cleaners or ETCHES as required, they improve system performance.
ALUMAL ETCH 214 – Liquid, immersion, addition agent for alkaline cleaners and alkaline etching systems to minimize the precipitation of alumina for extending the solution life. Also used in rack/jig stripping applications.
ALUMAL ETCH AB 212 – Liquid, immersion or spray, addition agent blend of surfactants to improve cleaning efficiency of alkaline etching or alkaline etch clean systems.
ALUMAL ETCH AB 213 – Liquid, immersion or spray, addition agent blend of surfactants and complexing agents to improve cleaning efficiency and stability of alkaline etching systems. For use with caustic soda.
ALUMAL ETCH AB 220 – Liquid, immersion, Surfactant system to provide foam blanket to reduce caustic soda fumes from alkaline etching systems, rack stripping solutions and anodizing solutions.